Powered by Blogger.


Unexpected: Aidan's Birth Story (Part 1)

It was 4:30 in the morning and I had woken up in a pool of colorless, odorless liquid. In my semi-dazed state, I thought I had somehow peed myself in my sleep, but as I walked to the bathroom, more liquid came gushing out between my legs. 

Did my water just break? But it's too early, I thought to myself. I was only 33 weeks along and we hadn't even taken any classes, and the nursery was half complete and my hospital bag barely packed.

I woke Andrew up to tell him what had happened and we started googling symptoms to figure out if we should go into the hospital. After some back and forth, we decided to call his parents at the ungodly hour and they agreed it was best to get checked out by a doctor.

Grabbing just my wallet and mobile, we called an Uber and made it to the labor and delivery triage in less than ten minutes since there was no traffic on the highway. I somehow managed to stay dry in the car ride there (it hadn't occurred to me to bring a towel to sit on just in case), but once I made it into the hospital elevator, I was leaking everywhere I walked and felt like my lower half had taken a swim with my clothes on. 

It was to be almost an hour's wait before I was seen by a resident, and he confirmed that I had Premature rupture of membranes (PROM) and that I was already 2 cm dilated. We expected him to send us home to wait it out, but to my our surprise he said I'd have to be hospitalized indefinitely until the baby was ready to come, since there was a risk of infection with my water breaking so early. 

Despite the fact that I was woefully unprepared, I felt a strange sense of calmness come over me. Like, this is it- everything will happen in its time.

I was checked into a semi-private ward and wired up to continuously monitor my contractions and the baby's heartbeat, and they also hooked me up to receive two different types of antibiotics by IV and gave me two spaced out shots of steroids to boost the baby's lung maturity. 

My time in the hospital felt somewhat like an out-of-body experience, and I simply sat back and let the doctors and nurses do what they had to do to keep me and the baby safe. The team at Mt Sinai was absolutely wonderful and reassuring and constantly kept me updated so I never once felt concerned about the situation. Their priority was to keep the baby inside me until Week 34, and after that I could choose to continue to wait it out (albeit increasing the risk of infection) or be induced by Pitocin.

The only thing we could do was wait, and I spent the next few uneventful days on bedrest, eating bland hospital meals and reading magazines to take my mind off what was to come, while Andrew worked from his office laptop next to me. I also made a list of things for Andrew to bring to the hospital in preparation for Aidan's arrival, and he had to shuttle between our apartment and the hospital since he couldn't stay overnight so we were glad we lived a short cab ride away.

And I did not notice until later but my entire body was swollen from water retention from being on IV and it would be weeks before I looked more like my normal self again (hence the lack of photos).

For Part 2 of his birth story, click here!

No comments

Post a Comment

© Ni Hao New York Maira Gall